Sunday, November 06, 2005

Republicans Fix Elections Yet Again

Grrrrrr. Apparently, former Black Panther leader Elaine Brown has been unceremoniously bounced from her standing as Green Party candidate for mayor of Brunswick, Georgia, a city that has a majority of African American residents but has never had a Black mayor. I (poorly and ignorantly) reviewed Brown's autobiography in one of my earliest pieces of published writing. Reading it sure as shootin' challenged me to take early steps in the long, painful process of starting to get my head around issues of racism, and I have definitely found the very real prospect of her in charge of a city in the U.S. to be very exciting. The good ol' boy Republican election fixin' machine (I seem to remember Public Enemy having a rather more direct name for it) feels otherwise, I guess, though Brown is still taking action in the courts and the streets to overturn the decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the African Americans in Brunswick want a black mayor I'm sure they could find soome one with much more experience and skills. And without the baggage of the Black Panthers.

Scott Neigh said...

I'm sure lots of folks would find her a very suitable candidate -- some people would rather vote for political commitment and vision than the technocrat who has managed to amass the fanciest resume. And I can't help but wonder what it is that makes you so sure of her lack of skills...is this based on concrete personal knowledge of Brown, or on assumptions?

In any case, the point here is that, given that she was able to secure the nomination of a legitimate political party, it should be up to the voters and not up to the white Republican establishment dirty tricks squad to decide whether she'd do a good job or not.