Saturday, June 03, 2006

Listen In...

On Monday, June 5 at 4 pm PST or 7 pm EST you can listen on KPFK to hear Eric Mann and Damon Azali of LA's Labor/Community Strategy Center interview renowned academic Manning Marable about the life of Malcolm X.

I'm relaying this partly because I want to make a point of listening and having put something up here will remind me, and partly because the Strategy Center is the sponsor organization of the LA Bus Rider's Union, which I briefly (and shallowly) tried to connect with during the first half of our stint in Los Angeles. Plus, Marable is a very important left voice from African America and it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say about Malcolm. And I've also heard Mann speak and read one of his books, and I think pretty highly of his politics as a long-time white anti-racist activist, even if he is a bit more traditionally Marxist than I tend to see myself -- although it's a very engaged and activist Marxism, not academic or sectarian, so I've always felt I had stuff to learn from that too.

Anyway, I'm going to try my best to listen in over the net, and I bet I'll learn a lot.

1 comment:

Scott Neigh said...

Here is the website for Marable's massive research project on Malcolm X.