Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Video: Largest Strike in Britain Since 1926


As I prepare to meet one deadline and then jump straight into the pool to start meeting the next, I urge you to check out the Democracy Now! coverage of the massive strike by more than 2 million British workers against the austerity plans of the Conservative/Lib-Dem coalition government. This is the largest strike in Britain since 1926, when a general strike brought down the government.



And, now, back to work for me....

2 comments:

Sebastian Lamb said...

The Nov. 30 public sector strike in the UK is very important. But the 1926 general strike didn't lead to the fall of the British government; in fact, it ended in a defeat for the working class (for which the union officialdom was responsible). In 1974 a miners' strike triggered an election, which the sitting Tories lost.

Scott Neigh said...

Thanks, Sebastian...I shouldn't've gone from memory. I did remember the bit about a betrayal in 1926, but I forgot exactly who had done it...in what I remembered, I thought the strike defeated a government, an election was held, Labour won, and it was Labour that betrayed the movement. So hard to keep track.... :)