Thursday, October 14, 2004

New Writing: Parenting Talk

Hi! Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. We were gone to San Fransisco for two nights -- amazing city, I want to go back, and I want to live next door to City Lights Bookseller and Publisher -- and I've been working on this new piece of writing (rather than on the oral history project like I should have been.)

The new piece is a short article written for a zine on progressive parenting that my sister Kathryn is producing for a media class she is taking. I'm not sure what the title of the zine is yet but I'll insert that in the appropriate location once I know. I started out trying to answer the question, "What does it mean to engage in progressive or radical parenting when your child is only one year old?" But when I tried to answer that I got sidetracked into thinking about the ways in which how we talk about parenting limits our ability to imagine good answers to that and similar questions. I don't know if I'll have time to pursue this, but I feel that this article contains the seeds for a significantly longer piece that could include an answer to my original question as well as a discussion of how mainstream parenting talk reinforces the values and agenda of neoliberalism.

Anyway, please check out the article!

No comments: